Carrot, lentil & orange soup
Carrots definitely don’t get enough recognition. These orange fingers are versatile and can be used in a variety of ways; as a side vegetable for your roast, a fresh lunchbox filler with dip or even the main ingredient in that moist carrot cake. We’ve made a nutritious and tasty carrot, lentil & orange soup to warm you up as the days get cooler.
carrot, lentil & orange soup
Serves 6 - 8
10 ml cumin seeds
20 ml coriander seeds
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
5 ml fresh ginger, grated
15 ml curry powder
450 g carrots, diced
175 ml red lentils
600 ml orange juice (can be freshly squeezed or bottled)
1200 ml vegetable stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
plain yoghurt to serve
- Heat an AMC 16 cm Gourmet Low over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm® reaches the first red area. Add seeds and toast until golden brown, this will be a quick process. Remove from pan and grind with pestle & mortar. Set aside until needed. (Alternatively use ground coriander & cumin.)
- Heat an AMC 24 cm Gourmet High over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm® reaches the first red area.
- Add onions, garlic and ginger and saut́é for a few minutes. Add curry powder, carrots, lentils, orange juice, stock and ground spices to unit.
- Reduce heat and cook for 30 to 35 minutes until the lentils are soft. Remove cookware from heat. With a stick blender, process the soup until smooth and season to taste.
- Serve warm garnished with a swirl of yoghurt or fresh coriander leaves and fresh bread.
Tips & variations
- The toasted and freshly ground spices add a hint of smokiness to the soup.
- For a thicker soup, more lentils can be added.