It’s early morning and already its hot outside. From news reports it sounds like this is the case throughout most of the country as the heat wave hits us this week. So who feels like cooking?
The best that you’re going to get from me on a day like today is a light pasta or cooling salad for supper. This chicken and mango coleslaw is perfect for a warm evening with its refreshing mango flavour. And if you’re not a fan of a traditional coleslaw, don’t worry, there’s no mayonnaise anywhere near this salad.
Chicken & mango coleslaw
Serves 2 as a main
A yummy twist on a traditional coleslaw, perfect as a light meal and a great way to include mango in your cooking. Inspired by David Lebovitz’s chicken mango slaw, I’ve tweaked it more to my liking.
50 g cashew nuts
10 ml olive oil
2 – 3 chicken breasts fillets
1 – 2 large ripe mangos, peeled and sliced into bite-size pieces
30 ml each freshly chopped mint and coriander
2 large carrots, coarsely grated
12 radishes, thinly sliced
1/4 head cabbage, thinly sliced or 2 baby cabbages, sliced
50 ml raisins
70 ml olive oil
45 ml sherry or red wine vinegar
5 ml honey
1 clove of garlic, crushed
10 ml dijon mustard
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat an AMC 20 cm Skillet over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm reaches the first red area. Add cashew nuts to unit and toast until golden brown. This will only take a few minutes. Remove from unit and allow to cool before roughly chopping.
- In the same unit add olive oil and chicken breasts and fry until golden brown on both sides. Reduce heat, cover with lid and cook for 5 – 7 minutes until chicken is cooked through but still tender. Then remove from heat, leave to cool, and slice into strips.
- Meanwhile, combine all the dressing ingredients together and season to taste.
- Mix the rest of the salad ingredients together, adding the cooled chicken strips and cashew nuts. Season to taste, drizzle with the dressing and serve as a light meal.
- If the thought of cooking anything today is just too much to bear, use leftover roast chicken in the salad or buy a pre-cooked roast chicken and roasted cashew nuts.