A rich blue cheese and mushroom sauce is so easy to make, tastes so good, and makes it seem like you really made extra effort with a meal. And I find that even people who don’t usually eat blue cheese enjoy this sauce. I often like to serve it with fillet, whether we’ve pan-fried or braaied chicken, pork or beef fillets or steaks. And it makes a great option as a quick meal when entertaining guests.
Fillet with blue cheese & mushroom sauce
500 – 800 g fillet of your choice (beef, pork or chicken)
olive oil, to taste
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
250 g mushrooms, halved and sliced
125 – 250 ml cream
100 g blue cheese, crumbled
- Preheat an AMC 28 cm Chef’s Pan over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm reaches the first red area.
- Brush fillets lightly with olive oil then brown on all sides in the unit. (Or lightly coat base of unit with 10 ml olive oil) Season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat, cover with lid and cook for 10 – 12 minutes or until meat is cooked to your preference. Cooking time will vary according to thickness of meat, but chicken fillets will be cooked within 5 – 7 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove meat from unit and allow to rest a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, increase the heat to a medium temperature again and sauté mushrooms until tender. Reduce the heat and add cream and blue cheese, stirring every now and then. Once reduced to your preference, season to taste and remove from heat.
- Slice the fillet and serve on couscous or polenta and top with sauce. Alternatively serve with baked potatoes and a fresh green salad or steamed greens.
- Ostrich fillet can also be used
- To cook couscous, use an equal amount of couscous to hot stock. Cover and leave to stand for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.