Need an easy weeknight supper? This light chicken and mushroom pasta is ideal. Usually when we combine chicken and mushroom for a pasta sauce we tend to add cream and other rich ingredients. With this version, lemon juice and a little olive oil keep the pasta moist and tasty and your conscience guilt free. And best of all, dinner is ready in under 30 minutes.
Simple chicken & mushroom pasta
10 ml oil for frying
4 – 6 chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
2 celery sticks, sliced
250 g brown mushrooms, halved and sliced
75 ml white wine or chicken stock or half wine and half sherry
juice and finely grated rind of 1 lemon
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
300 g penne, tagliatelle or other pasta of your choice
25 ml each fresh chopped Italian parsley and sage
30 g (60 ml) Parmesan cheese
olive oil to serve
- Heat an AMC 24 cm Roaster over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm reaches the first red area. Add oil and fry chicken until golden brown but not cooked. Spoon out and set aside.
- Sauté onion, garlic and celery until almost tender, then add mushrooms and sauté for a further 5 – 7 minutes. Add wine or stock to loosen any bits from base of unit and reduce heat to lowest setting.
- Return chicken with lemon juice and rind and simmer for 3 – 5 minutes, or until just cooked through. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile bring 2,5 – 3 litres water, with salt added, to the boil in an AMC 24 cm High, over a high temperature. Add pasta and boil without the lid for 8 – 12 minutes, until cooked through but still firm. Drain and return to hot unit.
- Toss chicken mixture with hot pasta. Stir in herbs, season to taste and serve immediately with cheese and a good drizzle of olive oil.