I love fish and seafood but often struggle with ideas in which to prepare them. A pan-fried or even braaied fish fillet is delicious with salad as a side, but not always what I feel like eating on a cooler evening.
This saucy fish & seafood broth is a delicious alternative way to prepare seafood. By gently cooking it in the tomato based sauce, the meat will remain tender, and fill hungry tummies in almost no time at all! An easy weeknight meal for family, or even one suitable for entertaining friends. It’s quite saucy, so serve it on a starch that can mop up all the juices.
Saucy fish & seafood broth
Serves 6 – 8
1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
3 – 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
6 – 8 spring onions, sliced in chunks
1 red chilli, chopped
30 – 45 ml fresh, grated ginger
2 x 410 g tins chopped tomatoes
20 – 30 ml tomato paste
30 ml capers, roughly chopped
600 g mixed seafood, completely thawed and patted dry
500 g fresh line-fish, cubed (preferably yellowtail, kingklip, Cape salmon or kob)
30 – 45 ml fresh, chopped Italian parsley
30 – 45 ml fresh, chopped origanum
10 – 15 ml lemon juice
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
lemon or lime wedges
- Heat an AMC Paella Pan, Electric Frying Pan (probe on 6) or 24 cm Roaster over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm reaches the first red area.
- Sauté onion, garlic and pepper together for 3 – 5 minutes. Add spring onions, chilli and ginger and sauté for another few minutes.
- Add tomatoes, paste and capers and bring to the boil. Simmer without the lid over a medium-low temperature for 10 – 12 minutes, to reduce the sauce.
- Add seafood and fish, mix through and cover with lid. Allow Visiotherm to reach the first red area and reduce heat further. Gently simmer for 10 – 12 minutes, or until the fish and seafood is just cooked. This should be a gentle process so the Visiotherm should not move past the 12 o’ clock position. If the broth cooks too rapidly, the fish and seafood might be tough.
- Add herbs and lemon juice and season to taste. Serve on mash, basmati rice or couscous with lemon or lime wedges. Crusty bread such as French baguette or Italian bread is also ideal.
- If frozen fish is used, ensure that it is completely thawed and patted dry before adding to the sauce.