Lentils with baked feta and tomatoes
Recipes that can be prepped in just a few minutes are always a winner. Add all the ingredients to an AMC 28 cm Gourmet Chef’s Pan and let the oven do the rest. The well-known combination of tomatoes, herbs, feta, balsamic vinegar and olive oil is a delicious base to add to lentils for a vegetarian meal or side dish.
2 leeks, halved and thinly sliced
500 g mixed baby tomatoes, halved or quartered
2 slices feta cheese
30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
30 ml (2 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
2 handfuls fresh herbs of your choice, like basil, Italian parsley, origanum and thyme
Salt and pepper
250 ml (1 cup) uncooked brown lentils
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Place the leeks, tomatoes and feta in a single layer in an AMC 28 cm Gourmet Chef’s Pan. Pour over the oil and balsamic vinegar with half the lemon rind and some of the herbs. Season to taste.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes or until the tomatoes are cooked.
- Meanwhile, place lentils with 625 ml (2½ cups) water in an AMC 20 cm Gourmet Low. Heat over a medium temperature with the lid on until the Visiotherm® reaches the first red area.
- Simmer lentils for 25-30 minutes or until just cooked, but not mushy. (Don’t add salt as it will prevent the lentils from softening.)
- Remove the lentils from the heat, rinse and drain well.
- Gently mash the warm feta in the AMC 28 cm Gourmet Chef’s Pan with a spoon. Add the lentils and mix through.
- Sprinkle with remaining lemon rind and herbs. Serve as a side dish or light vegetarian meal.
- Serve this dish with dollops of your favourite pesto, if preferred.