There is nothing better than a tried and tested recipe! This is exactly what brand ambassador Carey shares with us, her Ouma's trusted sago pudding. This recipe is so easy to make and best of all, you probably have all the ingredients in your cupboard right now. So why not get cracking on this rich and creamy dessert, perfect for a chilly winter evening. This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to make enough for the whole family!
500 ml milk
60 ml sago
45 ml sugar
30 ml butter
5 ml cinnamon
zest of 1 orange
pinch of nutmeg
2 eggs, separated
15 ml apricot jam
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Gently heat milk, sago and sugar in an AMC 20 cm Gourmet Low. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook over a low heat until thickened and the sago is translucent. Keep stirring all the while. This should take approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in half the butter, the orange zest and spices. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Beat the egg yolks and stir into the mixture.
- Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks and fold into the mixture too.
- Dollop with apricot jam and remaining butter. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes. Serve with double thick cream or custard.
- If you do not have a Gourmet unit, pour sago mixture into a 20 cm buttered baking dish and bake as above.
- Remember to wipe off all the sticky residue from the rim of your Gourmet Low before putting it in the oven.