While strawberries are still in season, make the most of these delicious fruits by adding them to salads, your breakfast or serve as a healthy snack. Any strawberries that are a bit overripe are perfect for preparing this refreshing drink, a fun and pretty twist on traditional lemonade.
Makes 2 liters
500 ml water
500 ml sugar
800 g strawberries, trimmed and halved
80 - 100 ml fresh lemon juice
1 litre soda water, mint, lemon and ice to serve
- Place water and sugar in an AMC 16 cm Gourmet High or 20 cm Gourmet Low and heat over a medium temperature, stirring until sugar has dissolved. The liquid will look mostly clear.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, allow syrup to cool completely before using or storing in the refrigerator.
- Place strawberries and lemon juice in a blender and puree until smooth. Add lemon juice and sugar syrup to taste. Served topped with soda water, mint and lemon.
- The sugar syrup will keep for up too 6 months if stored in the refrigerator, although this is not necessary.
- If strawberry seeds bother you, use a fine sieve to filter them out.
- Depending on the sweetness of the strawberries you use, you will add more or less sugar syrup or lemon juice.