It’s a fresh new year, with new aspirations and goals that still seem possible and do-able! My resolutions (that I’m determined to stick to beyond March at least):
- Make more conscious decisions about what I eat (i.e. don’t just eat the cake/sweet/pastry because it’s on offer).
- Only eat that cake/sweet/pastry if it tastes truly amazing.
- Learn to run. And not hate every second of it.
- Try to cook mainly (at least 80% of the time) healthy meals at home.
- And of course, post more AMC Spice recipes!
What are your goals or resolutions?
In order to achieve my healthy cooking goal, I’ve turned to my archive of recipes developed for cooking demonstrations. This cheats coronation caulifower chicken (quite a mouthful, I know!), was probably one of my biggest surprise loves of 2012. I saw a variation of this recipe on thestonesoup.com, and decided that I had to try this salad that uses raw cauliflower. I was skeptical, but the results were great! My husband and toddler son enjoyed it too, so I decided to test it at a dem. Although very few customers looked initially excited about this recipe, there was not a floret of cauliflower left and the platter was scraped clean. Proof (to me at least), that this really is delicious.
A quick summer salad that’s ideal to serve as a light meal for lunch or supper. Vary the ingredients according to your preference.
handful of cashew nuts, roughly chopped
10 ml oil (for frying)
2 chicken breast fillets
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
½ head of cauliflower, rinsed
60 ml mayonnaise, or to taste
curry powder, ground coriander and ground cumin to taste
5 – 10 ml lemon juice
125 g sugar snap peas
3 spring onions, chopped
- Heat an AMC 24 cm Chef’s Pan over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm reaches the first red area. Place cashew nuts in unit and roast, then spoon out and set aside.
- Spread oil in unit and brown chicken breasts on both sides. Season to taste with salt and pepper, cover with lid and reduce heat to lowest setting. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes, until chicken is cooked through but still moist. Remove from heat and allow to cool before slicing.
- Meanwhile slice the head of cauliflower into strips or small florets, whichever you prefer. Place in a bowl and add mayonnaise, enough to coat the cauliflower. Season with about 2,5 ml each of the spices or to taste. Add the lemon juice and cooled chicken strips and mix through.
- Place cauliflower and chicken mixture on a small platter and scatter with sugar snap peas, spring onions and roasted cashews. Season to taste and serve.