Chicken & samp curry
Not a truly traditional curry, we’ve instead prepared a one dish chicken curry with samp. A one-pot meal is always a winner in our home, and by using the Speedcooker® this tasty curry is ready in 60 minutes even though the samp is not pre-soaked. Even better is as soon as you have all the ingredients in your Speedcooker®, you can sit back and relax. The curry has some bite, so serve with plain yoghurt or deseed the chilli if preferred.
Serves 6 - 8
3 - 4 chicken breast portions
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
5 ml fresh ginger, grated
1 chilli, chopped
10 ml each ground cumin and coriander
5 ml cumin seeds
20 ml curry powder
1 each bay leaf and stick cinnamon
2 cups (500 ml) uncooked samp (no need to soak)
1.5 litres chicken stock
1 tin tomato puree
15 ml sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper
handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat an AMC 8 litre Speedcooker® with normal 24 cm lid on, over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm reaches the first red area.
- Place chicken portions skin side down and brown on both sides before removing from unit. Allow to cool slightly before cutting each portion into three pieces.
- Sauté onions for a few minutes before adding garlic, ginger, chilli and spices.
- Return chicken portions to unit and add remaining ingredients, except coriander. Seal with Speedcooker® lid.
- Cook over a medium heat until the indicator reaches the red level. Lower temperature slightly to maintain indicator at this level. Cook for 50 minutes. Remove the Speedcooker® from the stove plate. Allow indicator to drop completely before opening Speedcooker®.
- Add tomatoes and sugar and simmer for 10 minutes. Season to taste, garnish with fresh coriander and serve.
Tips & variations:
- Add freshly, chopped spinach in step 6. Heat through and allow to wilt before serving.
- Alternatively prepare this dish in an AMC 24 cm Gourmet High. To do so soak samp overnight. Follow recipe as above, but boil for 2 - 2½ hours or until samp is tender.