Chocolate fudge brownies
There is nothing more decadent than a chocolate fudge brownie and this recipe yields brownies that are dense, with a rich chocolate flavour. It's like the best of both worlds, your favourite chocolate cake with a soft biscuit-like texture. If you dare, be extra decadent and top with our chocolate sauce.
Serves 8 - 10
200 g (200 ml) butter
300 g (375 ml) sugar
100 g (180 ml) cake flour
30 g (75 ml) cocoa
15 ml vanilla essence
3 extra large eggs, lightly beaten
100 g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
50 - 75 g hazelnuts, chopped
250 ml milk (or ideal milk or half milk, half cream)
100 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
30 g (30 ml) butter
50 ml sugar
15 ml cocoa
15 ml flour
- Heat oven to 180 °C and lightly grease a 16 x 25 x 3 cm ovenproof dish or baking tin.
- Melt butter in AMC 20 cm Gourmet High over a low heat, stir often, and turn stove-plate off. Stir in sugar until almost completely dissolved. Sieve dry ingredients together and add, with vanilla, to butter mixture.
- Stir well with a wooden spoon and add eggs, little by little, beating well after each addition.
- Add chocolate and nuts and stir well. Spoon into prepared dish and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. (Do not bake for too long.) Meanwhile, prepare sauce.
- Sauce: Place all the ingredients, except cocoa and flour, in an AMC 20 cm Gourmet Low and heat over low temperature, while stirring often to dissolve sugar and melt chocolate.
- Bring sauce slowly to the boil and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Mix cocoa and flour with a little water and add to sauce. Stir constantly until mixture thickens.
- Slice brownies into squares or circles, and serve warm or at room temperature with sauce and ice cream. (Use either vanilla, or a flavour of your choice, such as vanilla with hazelnut and chocolate.)
- Cappuccino brownies: Add 10 ml good quality instant coffee or 20 ml drinking chocolate to batter. Add half the quantity of either to the sauce.
- Serve chocolate sauce on its own with ice cream or any other dessert of your choice.