This chocolate mousse is delicious and easy to make. The perfect dessert after a home cooked meal or to surprise someone with a sweet tooth.
300g dark chocolate
2 eggs, separated
1 cup (250 ml) cream
- Place 250 ml water in an AMC 20 cm Gourmet Low and heat over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm® reaches the first red area.
- Place chocolate in an AMC 20 cm Dome and place over the gently simmering water. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting to allow chocolate to melt. Stir every now and then till you have a smooth mixture. Remove from heat if water becomes too hot, as the chocolate might become crumbly and hard if overheated. Once you have a smooth mixture, remove AMC Dome from the unit.
- Place egg whites in a dry, clean bowl and beat with an electric beater until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Once chocolate has cooled down sufficiently, whisk yolks together and pour into chocolate. Beat well. Don’t be alarmed if the chocolate thickens, the rest of the ingredients will smooth the mixture again.
- Pour the cream into the chocolate and whisk or beat until well blended.
- Then using a metal spoon, gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate.
- Divide the mousse into 6 glasses or small bowls or pour into one large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 2 - 3 hours, or until set.
- Serve with fresh berries if available, or with vanilla ice cream and roughly chopped hazelnuts. Alternatively dust with icing sugar or cocoa and serve with a sprig of mint.
If you don’t have an AMC Dome, use any suitable glass bowl for double boiling.