Chorizo, chickpeas & kale in a spicy tomato sauce
Having a lazy evening but you still need to make a tasty and filling supper? This one pot recipe created by food blogger Carey Erasmus is the perfect answer. Substitute the chorizo with pork sausage or add a tin of lentils for a vegetarian option, and supper will be ready in 20 minutes.
Chorizo, Chickpeas & Kale in Spicy Tomato Sauce
Serves 2 - 4
250 g chorizo sausages, sliced or good quality pork sausages
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
5 ml ground cumin
2,5 ml dried chillies
2,5 ml smoked paprika
375 ml dry white wine or stock
400 g tin chopped tomatoes
15 ml tomato paste
5 ml dried oregano
5 ml honey
400 g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
100 g kale, broken into pieces
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat an AMC 24 cm Gourmet Dome Fry Pan or 20 cm Gourmet Low over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm® reaches the first red area. Add the chorizo or pork sausages and sauté until almost crispy and the flavourful oil of the chorizo has released.
- Add the onion, garlic and spices, fry over low heat until softened and fragrant. Add half of the wine and to reduce to a third.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano and honey. Bring to the boil, add the chickpeas and remaining wine and simmer gently for 10 - 12 minutes.
- Add the kale and cover with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes or until kale is wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve on bulgar wheat or quinoa drizzled with good olive oil. For some crunch, serve with kale chips.
- To make kale chips: Add only half of the kale to your mixture, use the balance for your chips. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Spread kale out onto a large baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season to taste. Roast for 10 - 12 minutes or until crispy and slightly browned.
- Substitute chorizo with cooked or tinned lentils for a meat free option.