A cold Spanish gazpacho is perfect refreshment on a hot summer day. This traditional Spanish soup that is served cold, making it incredibly easy to prepare. Pop all your ingredients into a blender, blend to desired consistency and allow to chill for a few hours before serving.
Serves 6 - 8
1 slice of white bread
2 tins (200 ml each) tomato juice, chilled
1 clove of garlic, crushed
4 spring onions, finely chopped
½ English cucumber, seeded and cubed
1 celery stalk with leaves, chopped
½ each red and green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 tin (400 g) chopped tomatoes
5 ml tomato paste
15 – 20 ml balsamic or red wine vinegar
Tabasco sauce or cayenne pepper, to taste
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
10 – 12 basil leaves, shredded
250 ml crushed ice
125 ml sour cream
large prawn per person, pan-fried and seasoned
50 g olives, halved and pitted
2 celery stalks or ¼ cucumber, finely diced
2 slices Feta cheese, diced
2 – 4 spring onions, diagonally sliced
- Place bread in an AMC 20 cm Dome and pour tomato juice over. Allow to stand until soft.
- Place bread with juice, garlic, all the vegetables and tomato paste in a liquidiser or food processor or mix it with a hand blender. Blend to a smooth mixture.
- Pour soup into Dome and stir in remaining ingredients, except basil. Season to taste. Refrigerate in Dome for 1 – 2 hours or overnight, until well chilled.
- To serve: Add basil and pour soup into individual bowls and garnish with any of the accompaniments. You could place crushed ice in the bottom of a glass, top with soup and spoon some sour cream over. Skewer a pan-fried prawn on a kebab and place on edge of the glass. Or serve from the AMC Soup Tureen and let everyone help themselves.
- Serve as a starter or cocktail on a summer’s evening.
- Serve in glasses with a dash of gin or vodka.
- Substitute basil with coriander leaves or cayenne pepper.
- Can also be prepared with 500 g ripe tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped.