Whether it’s soft and smooth, fine and crumbly or chunky - and irrespective of whether you call it mieliepap, phutu, pap or bagobe - maize meal can be prepared with great success in AMC cookware. Simply follow the basic guideline and instructions below. Perfect for a side, breakfast or meal and often served with chakalaka or buttermilk.
Consistency of pap Maize meal Water
Fine crumbs 1 cup 1 cup
Bigger chunks 1 cup 1 ½ cups
Smooth/Breakfast pap 1 cup 2 cups
Method for fine or chunky pap:
- Pour required amount of water, salt added, into an AMC unit. Cover and heat over a medium temperature until Visiotherm reaches 11 o’ clock position. The water should be boiling gently.
- Add required amount of maize meal, but don’t stir. Cover with lid and continue to cook for 5 minutes on a medium temperature.
- Stir pap thoroughly and cover. Reduce heat to lowest setting and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes until cooked. Stir every now and then.
- Follow method as above, but stir water and maize meal well to form a soft mixture before continuing to cook it.
- Cooking time will vary according to quantity prepared. For example, 4 ½ cups of water and 3 cups of maize meal will serve 4 – 6 portions of chunky pap.
- Stir whole kernel corn or sweet corn into cooked pap.
- Add fresh chopped parsley, origanum or thyme into pap when serving with a stew.
- Drizzle pap with olive oil or dot with small dollops of butter before serving.