When you think of a healthy summer meal, more than likely a salad is the first thing that comes to mind. Salads are often a lighter and healthier choice, especially when made at home. This Niçoise salad is healthy in many ways and perfect for a light, but filling meal. The tuna and eggs provides a source of lean protein that is easily digested and packed with other nutrients, like healthy oils. The baby potatoes in the skin are high in fibre, and with the rest of the veggies these will keep you feeling fuller for longer. The variety of different fresh ingredients also mean that there are a wide range of different vitamins, minerals and other nutrients included.
Serves 4 – 6
500 g baby potatoes in the skin
150 g thin green beans, quartered
2 x 170 g tins tuna, drained
mixed fresh baby salad leaves with fresh rocket, dill and mint
200 g cherry tomatoes, halved
8 - 10 black olives, halved and pitted
15 capers or 2 - 3 gherkins, sliced (optional)
75 ml (5 tbsp) olive or avocado oil
30 ml (2 tbsp) grape or apple cider vinegar
5 ml (1 tsp) Dijon mustard
1 small clove of garlic, crushed
15 ml (1 tbsp) each chopped fresh Italian parsley, origanum and thyme or dill
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the potatoes in an AMC 20 cm Gourmet High with about 125 ml (½ cup) water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm® reaches the first red area. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes or until just cooked.
- Drain and allow to cool. Halve each potato but keep the skins on.
- Place eggs in an AMC 20 cm Gourmet Low with just enough cold water to cover them halfway. Bring to a boil over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm® reaches the 11 o’clock position. Once the water begins to simmer, time the eggs for 6-7 minutes for soft yolks and firm whites, or see tips below.
- Spoon out, rinse with cold water and gently crack the shells. Allow to cool completely before peeling and cutting into wedges.
- Place green beans, dripping wet in an AMC 20 cm Gourmet Low. Heat over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm® reaches the first red area. Turn the temperature down to a lower setting and simmer for 3 - 5 minutes or until just cooked, but still bright green and crunchy. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Salad dressing: Mix all ingredients together and season to taste.
- Arrange tuna and all the other salad ingredients on a salad platter and serve with the salad dressing. This is a delicious, filling meal.
- If you prefer runny boiled eggs, boil the eggs for just 3 - 4 minutes. For hard-boiled eggs, boil the eggs for about 10 - 12 minutes. Remember to keep the water simmering over a medium temperature rather than boiling too rapidly, as this may crack the eggs. AMC is perfect for this as the thick base helps to maintain an even cooking temperature.
- Substitute tuna with smoked salmon or even tinned or peppered mackerel. Leftover braaied fish will also be delicious.
Recipe from Make five / Maak vyf | Photographs by Neville Lockhart | Facebook link