Rice with chicken and broccoli
If you have leftover rice at home then this recipe from Heleen Meyer could be ready in minutes! Or quickly cook up 2 cups of rice for this very easy and satisfying meal. The aromatic flavour of Basmati or jasmine rice will be a good substitute if you don't have the slightly nuttier tasting brown rice or brown basmati rice on hand.
Rice with broccoli and chicken
Serves 4 - 6
500 ml uncooked brown rice or brown basmati rice
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
15 ml dried mixed herbs
200 g broccoli, cut into large florets
30 ml olive or avocado oil (or lemon flavoured oil)
500 ml cooked chicken, cut into pieces (see tip)
2,5 ml Chinese five-spice or paprika to taste
lemon juice, salt and pepper
- Place the rice with 1,25 litres (5 cups) water and a pinch of salt in an AMC 20 cm Gourmet High or 20 cm Synergy Super High. Heat over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm reaches the first red area. Reduce heat to lowest setting and simmer with a lid on for 30 minutes or until just cooked. Drain and rinse with cold water. (This can be done ahead of time.)
- Heat an AMC 24 cm Gourmet Roaster over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm reaches first red area. Sauté onion and garlic until soft. Add herbs and broccoli, sautéing until the broccoli is nearly cooked. Cover with a lid and steam broccoli for a few minutes.
- Stir the oil and cooked rice into the broccoli and sauté for a few minutes. Reduce the heat, stir in the chicken and spices and cover with a lid. Allow to steam for a few minutes until the rice and chicken is heated through.
- Season to taste with a little lemon juice, salt and pepper. Drizzle with a big glug of olive oil and serve with some avocado slices and some extra oil at the table.
Tips & variations
- Substitute chicken with 2 x 170 g tuna in water, drained.
- Any leftover chicken is delicious in this dish and roasted chicken adds a lovely flavour. Alternatively cut two to three chicken breast fillets into strips and sauté with the broccoli. You may need a little bit of extra oil. You could also fry the chicken first and spoon it out so that it doesn’t become dry. Stir in the chicken at step 3.
- Substitute broccoli with frozen peas.
Recipe from Make five, by Heleen Meyer - AMC Brand Ambassador, published by NB Publishers, photograph by Neville Lockhart.