Rooibos fruit punch
This is a very versatile punch to serve at various occasions. Different ingredients can be added to give different end results. Serve as a refreshment on a hot day.
Rooibos Fruit Punch
Makes approximately 3 litres
5 rooibos tea bags
1 litre boiling water
3 - 4 thin slices of fresh ginger
30 ml sugar
50 ml fresh lemon juice
1 litre fruit juice, such as breakfast punch, or mango or orange, chilled
1 litre ginger ale, chilled
ice cubes, mint leaves and thinly sliced lemon wedges
- Place tea bags and boiling water in an AMC 24 cm Gourmet High. Allow tea to brew over a low temperature for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Add ginger and sugar and stir over a low heat until all the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, add lemon juice and allow mixture to cool down.
- Remove tea bags and ginger and add fruit juice. Refrigerate until ice cold and add ginger ale just before serving.
- Place some ice cubes, mint and lemon wedges in glasses and fill up with punch.
- Add lemonade, Appletiser or sparkling wine instead of ginger ale.
- If preferred, omit the sugar.
- Add a tin (440 g) of crushed pineapple and/or 115 g (1 tin) granadilla pulp. Refrigerate tins and add with ginger ale.
- Add 50 - 100 ml brandy or sherry to punch for a special occasion.
- Don’t allow tea to become too strong, as it could taste bitter.
- Refrigerate all the ingredients to ensure that the punch is served ice cold.
- For very cold drinks, chill your glasses in the freezer before using them.