Video: Chicken poke bowl
You've probably seen many poke bowls on social media over the past year or so. Pronounced Pohkay, it means to “cut or slice" and is the national dish in Hawaii, usually using raw marinated fish - the dish was originally created by fisherman using cut-offs from their daily catch. There are many ways to make a colourful, fresh and healthy poke bowl for a family meal. In this video, we've made a chicken and rice poke bowl, but you can easily use whatever ingredients you have on hand.
Chicken poke bowl
250 ml (1 cup) brown basmati rice
salt and pepper
2 large handfuls baby spinach
2-3 red or yellow salad peppers, halved, seeded and cut into strips
2-3 cobs of corn, cooked and kernels cut off the cob (see tip)
fresh coriander sprigs to garnish
30 ml (2 tbsp) soy sauce
60 ml (¼ cup) olive or avocado oil
30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
15 ml (1 tbsp) finely grated fresh ginger
1 small red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
15 ml (1 tbsp) olive or avocado oil
4 chicken breast fillets
30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice, Rooibos tea or white wine
- Poke bowl: Place rice in an AMC 16 cm Gourmet High with a good pinch of salt and 625 ml (2 ½ cups) water. Heat with the lid over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm® reaches the first red area. Reduce heat to lowest setting and simmer with a lid for 25 - 30 minutes or until just cooked.
- Dressing: Mix all the ingredients together and season with pepper.
- Chicken fillets: Heat an AMC 24 cm Gourmet Dome Fry Pan over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm® reaches the first red area. Add the oil and fry the chicken fillets on one side until golden brown. Season to taste.
- Turn over and fry on the other side until golden brown, but not yet cooked through. Season to taste.
- Reduce the heat. Pour the lemon juice, tea or wine into the unit and immediately cover with a lid. The liquid will steam a lot but keep the lid on and remove the pan from the heat for a moment, if necessary.
- Allow the fillets to cook for only 5 - 7 minutes. If they are very thick, test after 5 minutes by gently pressing on the thickest part of the fillet. The meat should still be slightly springy in the middle and juicy, but not pink at all.
- Place the warm chicken fillets in an AMC Dome and spoon some of the dressing over. Allow chicken fillets to cool down in the dressing and marinate slightly. Slice chicken and toss to coat in the dressing.
- Then assemble the poke bowls: Place rice, spinach, peppers, corn and chicken in individual bowls. You can mix the ingredients or arrange them separately in the bowl. Garnish with coriander sprigs and serve with the remaining dressing.
- To prepare corn on the cob, place in an AMC 20 cm Low with enough water. Heat over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm® reaches the first red area. Reduce heat to lowest setting and simmer with a lid on for 5-7 minutes or until just cooked.
- Instead of rice, use quinoa, pasta rice or couscous.
- Substitute the fresh ingredients with what you have in the fridge - sliced radishes, spring onions, avocado, fresh herbs etc.