Smoked snoek pate
Are you having friends and family over and you need a simple starter? Smoked snoek pâté is a South African favourite that you can make at home in just a few steps. Serve with a selection of crackers or fresh breads and pickles.
Smoked snoek pâté
From The AMC Book
Makes approximately 500 ml
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 small red chilli, seeded and chopped
250 g smoked snoek, deboned, skinned and flaked
250 g smooth cottage cheese
15 ml fresh lemon juice
10 ml Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco sauce to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat an AMC 24 cm Chef’s Pan over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm® reaches the first red area.
- Sauté onion, garlic and chilli until onion is transparent.
- Place snoek in a food processor with onion mixture and blend. Add the remaining ingredients and blend to form a smooth mixture. Season to taste. Do not add salt as the smoked snoek is rather salty.
- Spoon into a bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour. The pâté will set once chilled.
- Add 5 ml fish masala for extra flavour.
- Replace snoek with 1 ½ tins (170 g each) well-drained tuna.
- Prepare pâté with a tin of salmon and replace chilli with 20 ml fresh, chopped or 10 ml dried dill.
- Replace Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco with Thousand Island dressing to taste.
- Add the chilli seeds for a stronger flavour.