Chutney Chicken Video
Chutney chicken is a much-loved South African favourite, but can be quite high in fat and salt due to ingredients like mayonnaise and soup powder. This healthier version still has that yum-factor but uses yoghurt instead of mayonnaise and natural seasonings like onions, ginger and thyme. To save time, prepare the chicken in an AMC Gourmet Roaster, before finishing off and roasting it in the delicious chutney sauce in the oven.
10 ml (2 tsp) cornflour
250 ml (1 cup) plain yoghurt
15 ml (1 tbsp) grated fresh ginger
125 ml (½ cup) good quality chutney
15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh thyme leaves
salt and pepper to taste
125 ml (½ cup) strong Rooibos tea
8 chicken portions e.g. drumsticks and thighs
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
extra fresh thyme sprigs to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Heat an AMC 24 cm Gourmet Roaster over a medium temperature, until the Visiotherm® reaches the first red area. (If using the AMC Flux, start on P5.)
- Meanwhile, mix the cornflour with a little water to make a paste. Then add the yoghurt, ginger, chutney and thyme. Stir until well combined. Season to taste and stir in the Rooibos tea.
- Fry the chicken, skin side first, in batches until golden brown on all sides. Spoon out and repeat with the remaining chicken. Remove chicken from the unit.
- Add onion to the unit and sauté until golden brown.
- Reduce the temperature (P2 on the Flux) and stir the sauce into the onion in the unit. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the chicken back to the unit and stir to coat in the sauce. Turn chicken portions skin side up in the Roaster. Simmer with a lid for 10 minutes.
- Place the Roaster, without the lid, in the oven and roast chicken for about 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
- Serve chicken with extra fresh thyme, salad and green veggies.
- Before placing the AMC 24 cm Gourmet Roaster in the oven with the chicken, make sure you wipe the handles and rim of the unit. This will prevent any splatters from burning on in the oven.
- For a more filling meal, add small cubes of butternut to the unit with the chicken in step 7.
- This sauce is delicious and goes well with a starchy side dish to help soak up all the sauce. If preferred, serve with a starch of your choice, like mashed potatoes, brown rice or couscous.
Share this Chutney Chicken recipe now!
Recipe developed by AMC Brand Ambassador Heleen Meyer.
Video shot by Popped Red Balloon Productions