This is not the bread we are all used to. When you add this batter to your preheated Chef's Pan, it immediately starts to puff-up and you begin to imagine how you will soon be munching on a slice hot of buttered cornbread. We've added a bit more flavour by using bacon but this could easily be omitted.
250 g bacon, diced
250 ml mielie meal
250 ml flour
30 ml sugar
20 ml baking powder
10 ml smoked paprika, optional
1 egg, beaten
250 ml milk or buttermilk
60 ml oil
250 ml frozen corn, rinsed under water
3 - 4 spring onions, chopped
250 ml cheddar cheese, grated
salt and freshly ground black pepper
50 g butter
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Heat an AMC 24 or 28 cm Chef's Pan over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm® reaches the first red area. Add bacon and fry until crisp. Spoon out and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine mielie meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and smoked paprika in an AMC 20 cm Dome.
- Whisk egg, milk and oil together until combined before adding to dry ingredients. Fold in corn, spring onions, cheese and bacon. Season to taste.
- Add butter to your Chef’s Pan and allow to melt, making sure butter covers the base. Quickly add batter to the pan. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Give the rim of the Chef's Pan a wipe with a damp cloth to remove any food splatters before placing in the oven.
- To test if the corn bread is done pierce the centre with a cake tester or toothpick, it should come out clean.