Hot cross bun french toast
French toast has always been a breakfast and brunch favourite. We're giving it our own twist this Easter season by making our toast with hot cross buns. Top with cream cheese and fresh berries for extra decadence.
Hot cross bun French toast
4 – 5 extra large eggs
15 ml water per egg
a pinch of salt
10 ml oil for frying
6 hot cross buns, halved
100 ml maple syrup or honey
cream cheese to spread
fresh berries of your choice
- Beat eggs, water and salt together in an AMC 24 cm Dome.
- Heat AMC 24 cm Gourmet Dome Fry Pan or 28 cm Chef’s Pan over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm reaches the first red area. Lightly grease with oil.
- Dip 2 – 3 halves of hot cross buns in egg mixture and fry on both sides until golden brown and egg is cooked. Drain on paper towelling and keep warm. Repeat with rest of buns.
- Once cooked, spread buns with cream cheese and top with syrup or honey. Serve immediately.
- Alternatively make French toast with white bread or a different type of bread such as raisin bread.
- Fried bacon is a delicious topping with the cream cheese and maple syrup.
- Serve as a dessert with syrup, cinnamon sugar, lemon and ice cream.