Lethabo's Stovetop Homemade Bread
Lethabo’s grandmother used to make a very similar bread, but she would bury it underground and make a fire on top - creating a makeshift oven. This version is a lot easier to prepare, no oven required, but just as delicious! Be sure to watch our step-by-step video before you begin.
1 1/2 cups warm milk
1 tbsp sugar
10 g yeast
4 cups cake flour
250 g grated cheddar cheese
1/2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp oil
oil for greasing
- Place milk, sugar and yeast in an AMC 24 cm Dome and mix together. Let your yeast activate for 10 minutes.
- In another AMC 24 cm Dome or large mixing bowl add cake flour, grated cheese and salt. Mix together.
- Add yeast mixture and oil to the dry ingredients and knead together for 5 - 8 minutes. Continue to knead until the dough is not sticky.
- Set dough aside and let it rise for approximately one hour.
- Once risen, take dough and cut into eight equal parts. Shape each part into a ball.
- Take your AMC 24 cm Gourmet Dome Fry Pan and oil generously.
- Add the eight balls of dough to the pan and let them rise for 15 minutes.
- Cover with lid and cook on stove at the lowest temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut a baking sheet to the size of your Fry Pan, leaving an overhang to handle easily.
- After 30 minutes, flip bread over onto the baking sheet. Place the baking sheet and bread back in the pan and cook the other side with the lid on for 15 minutes.
- Your bread is ready to serve!
- Butter while hot, let the butter soak in and enjoy with a cup of black tea.
- If you are struggling to find a very low heat, move your cookware halfway off a solid plate stove. It will still continue to heat the base but will reduce the heat.