Who doesn’t enjoy a good bobotie. We’ve tried a Paleo version, it’s delicious. We started the cooking processes on the stove and popped our 24 cm Gourmet Dome Fry into the oven to finish it off.
Serves 6 – 8
1 kg lean beef or lamb mince, or half of each
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 – 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
20 ml curry powder
15 ml each mixed herbs, ground cumin and coriander
20 ml smooth apricot jam or honey
75 g (125 ml) raisins or sultanas (optional)
40 ml red wine vinegar or lemon juice
salt and freshly ground black pepper taste
2 extra large eggs
250 ml coconut milk, cream or milk
- Heat AMC 24 cm Gourmet Dome Fry Pan over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm® reaches the first red area.
- Add half of meat to the unit and brown, breaking the meat apart with a wooden spoon or large fork to form crumbs. Remove from unit with slotted spoon. Set aside.Repeat with rest of meat.
- Sauté onions in unit until transparent. Add garlic, curry, herbs and spices, and sauté for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Lower the temperature and simmer meat slowly, with lid on, for 15 – 20 minutes. Add jam and raisins, and season with vinegar, salt and pepper. Allow to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Beat together eggs and 250 ml coconut milk. Pour over mince mixture. Place 4 - 5 bay or lemon leaves in bobotie. Bake uncovered at 180 ˚C for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Prepare mince mixture and freeze, top with the egg custard just before wanting to bake.