Video: Nicoise salad | Complete meal tuna salad
This Niçoise salad is healthy in many ways and perfect for a light, but filling meal. We've published it before on our blog, but have followed up with this video to show you how easy this meal is to prepare. Using simple ingredients, it packs a healthy punch which includes protein, good fats, and fibre. A Nicoise salad is usually made up of tuna, tomatoes and hard boiled eggs, but we've added boiled baby potatoes to make a more filling meal - perfect for a light dinner or to serve as a wholesome lunch.
Serves 4 – 6
500 g baby potatoes in the skin
150 g thin green beans, halved
2 x 170 g tins tuna, drained
mixed fresh baby salad and herb leaves
200 g cherry tomatoes, halved
8 - 10 black olives, halved and pitted
15 capers or 2 - 3 gherkins, sliced (optional)
75 ml (5 tbsp) olive or avocado oil
30 ml (2 tbsp) grape or apple cider vinegar
5 ml (1 tsp) Dijon mustard
1 small clove of garlic, crushed
15 ml (1 tbsp) each chopped fresh Italian parsley, origanum and thyme or dill
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the potatoes in an AMC 20 cm Gourmet High with about 125 ml (½ cup) water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm® reaches the first red area. Reduce the heat and simmer with lid for 15 - 20 minutes or until just cooked. Add the green beans in the last 5 minutes of the cooking time.
- Drain potatoes and beans and rinse in cold water. Allow to cool. Halve each potato but keep the skins on.
- Place eggs in an AMC 20 cm Gourmet Low with just enough cold water to cover them halfway. Bring to a boil over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm® reaches the 11 o’clock position. Once the water begins to simmer, time the eggs for 6 - 7 minutes for soft yolks and firm whites, or see tips below.
- Spoon out, rinse with cold water and immediately crack the shells gently. Allow to cool completely before peeling and cutting into wedges.
- Salad dressing: Mix all ingredients together and season to taste.
- Layer all the other salad ingredients in an AMC 30 cm Salad Bowl. Drizzle some of the dressing over and serve with the remaining dressing. This is a delicious, filling meal.
- If you prefer runny boiled eggs, boil the eggs for just 3 - 4 minutes. For hard-boiled eggs, boil the eggs for about 10 - 12 minutes. Remember to keep the water simmering over a medium temperature rather than boiling too rapidly, as this may crack the eggs. AMC is perfect for this as the thick base helps to maintain an even cooking temperature.
- Substitute tuna with smoked salmon or even tinned or peppered mackerel. Leftover braaied fish will also be delicious.
Recipe from Make five / Maak vyf | Photographs by Neville Lockhart