3 ways with scrambled eggs
A standard in many homes – scrambled eggs are often one of the first things you learn to cook. Did you know that some famous chefs test new trainees by asking them to cook a batch of scrambled eggs? So simple, and yet you need to know a few things or follow a few guidelines to be successful.
It’s such a versatile and healthy dish that can be prepared in the blink of an eye – no wonder there are so many egg-citing ways to prepare scrambled eggs. If you know how to prepare a single portion, and have a few filling ideas up your sleeve, you can whip this basic cooking method up into a five-star breakfast for the long weekend.
The filling or topping options are endless, from veggies, cheeses to another protein like bacon or sausage. This recipe includes three options, but you can mix and match with herbs and flavours according to your family’s preference. Eggs don’t need a high temperature to cook, so don’t be tempted to crank up the heat.
3 ways with scrambled eggs
2-3 eggs per person
15 ml (1 tbsp) water per egg
salt and black pepper to taste
10-15 ml (2-3 tsp) olive or avocado oil
Cheese & mushrooms
30 ml (2 tbsp) grated white cheddar cheese
15 ml (1 tbsp) each chopped fresh Italian parsley and thyme leaves
4-5 portabellini mushrooms, quartered and pan-fried
extra grated cheese and herbs to serve
Boerewors (great for kids)
8-10 small pieces cooked boerewors
handful fresh Italian parsley leaves
Spinach, feta & avo
6-8 cubes feta cheese
handful baby spinach leaves
¼-½ avocado, sliced
extra cubes feta to serve
- Heat an AMC 24 cm Chef’s Pan over a medium temperature until just before the Visiotherm® reaches the first red area. This unit is big enough for one portion.
- Meanwhile, beat 2-3 eggs with 15 ml (1 tbsp) water per egg. Season with salt and pepper.
- Choose a filling option per portion. Each option is enough for 2-3 scrambled eggs.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in the unit and add the eggs. Reduce the temperature to the lowest setting and allow the eggs to start to set before gently stirring.
- Depending on the filling option, some of the ingredients can be added to the eggs in the pan, as they begin to set. Follow the method for each filling:
- Cheese & mushrooms: Stir the cheese and herbs into the egg mixture as it starts to set. Serve scrambled eggs with pan-fried mushrooms, extra cheese and fresh herbs.
- Boerewors: Stir boerewors into the egg mixture when it begins to set. Serve with fresh parsley.
- Spinach, feta & avo: As the egg mixture begins to set, stir in cubes of feta. Serve scrambled eggs on a bed of fresh spinach with avocado and extra feta. Add a good grind of black pepper.
- Repeat with more portions until everyone has their choice of scrambled eggs, or prepare one bigger batch of scrambled eggs, with one of the filling options in an AMC 28 cm Chef’s Pan or an AMC 30 cm Electric Frying Pan. Make sure you increase the amount of filling used, as the above is only enough for 2-3 eggs.
Share this scrambled egg recipe now!
Recipes from Heleen Meyer, AMC Brand Ambassdor
Photograph: Lig magazine