Cauli-rice chicken breyani
cauli-rice chicken breyani
Serves 4 - 6
5 ml oil for frying
4 chicken breast fillets
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
20 ml curry powder
10 ml turmeric
1 each stick cinnamon and bay leaf
3 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
10 ml each ground coriander and cumin seeds
1.5 medium heads of cauliflower, cut into florets and pulsed in a food processor (or finely chopped)
100 ml stock or water
250 ml cooked lentils
5 ml garam masala
squeeze of lemon
freshly chopped coriander to taste
sliced boiled eggs, tomato salsa and/or almond slivers to serve (optional)
- Heat an AMC 24 cm Gourmet Roaster or 30 cm Electric Frying Pan over a medium heat (probe on 6), until the Visiotherm reaches the first red area.
- Spread the oil over the base of the unit and brown chicken breasts on both sides, while seasoning to taste. Once browned, cover with lid, reduce heat and cook for 5 - 7 minutes until chicken breasts are cooked through but still tender. Remove from unit and leave to cool slightly before slicing into small cubes.
- Increase the heat and sauté the onion. Once softened, add the garlic and spices and sauté for a few more minutes until fragrant.
- Add cauliflower, stock, chicken and lentils to unit, cover with lid, reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, garam masala and lemon juice. Mix through coriander. Serve with sliced eggs, tomato salsa and garnished with almond slivers and any additional coriander.
- For more heat, add one seeded and chopped chilli with the garlic and spices.
- Omit lentils for a full paleo recipe.
- To make cauliflower rice, place florets in a food processor and pulse for a few minutes.