Enter & win AMC Edge
This week Heleen shares two easy recipes with us. A broccoli and caramalised onion salad as well as meatballs. Try both recipes for a quick supper, but be sure to make extra and pop the leftovers in for lunch. Don't forget, you have another chance to win you own set of AMC Edge kitchen knives. Watch the Kosblik video and enter the competition below.
T'S & C'S
Some quick terms and conditions:
- This competition is open to anyone in South Africa over the age of 18. Employees and Sales Consultants of AMC Cookware may not enter.
- The company's decision is final and winners will be contacted directly by AMC.
Broccoli salad with caramelised onions
Recipe adapted from Kos is op die tafel! by Heleen Meyer
3 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
30 ml soft brown sugar
30 ml balsamic vinegar
15 ml olive or avocado oil
15 ml dried or fresh thyme
salt and black pepper to taste
200 g broccoli, cut into florets
100 - 150 g baby spinach or other mixed lettuce of your choice
1 - 2 slices feta cheese, crumbled
nuts & seeds to sprinkle
- Heat an AMC 24 cm Chef's Pan over a medium temperature until the Viostherm reaches the first red area. Add onions and sauté until soft.
- Add sugar, vinegar, oil and thyme and season to taste. Reduce heat and simmer without a lid for 10 - 15 minutes or until the onions are caramelised. Spoon out and allow to cool.
- Place broccoli dripping wet in an AMC 20 cm Low. Heat over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm reaches the first red area, to just below boiling point. Simmer with a lid for 3 - 5 minutes or until just cooked, but still bright green and crunchy. Drain and rinse in cold water to prevent the broccoli from cooking further. Drain well.
- Arrange salad ingredients on a platter and spoon onions and broccoli on top. Sprinkle with cheese and garnish with nuts and seeds, and serve at room temperature. Alternatively pack in a lunchbox for a healthy midday meal.
- Caramelised onions are surprisingly versatile. Use them in any other salad or stir into couscous with a handful or two of coriander and basil leaves with roasted nuts.
Recipe from Cooking from the heart 2.
Makes 12 - 15
30 ml chutney
30 ml tomato sauce
2 baby marrows, grated
60 ml uncooked oats
1 egg, beaten
15 ml ground coriander
45 ml chopped fresh parsley
2,5 ml salt
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
15 ml oil for frying
- Place all the ingredients, except the oil, in an AMC 20 cm Dome and mix with your hands until well combined. Season with lemon juice and pepper. Shape the mince mixture into small balls using about 30 ml of mince per ball.
- Heat an AMC 24 cm Chef's Pan over a medium temperature until the Visiotherm reaches the first red area. Add half of the oil to the pan. Add meatballs and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for a few minutes until cooked through. Spoon out and repeat with remaining meatballs and oil. Allow meatballs to cool and pack in a lunchbox.
- When buying sauces like chutney and tomato sauce, make sure you choose a good quality option that is lower in sugar and salt.