Video: Super Easy Chicken Breyani
A breyani is always tasty but often takes so long to make – you really need to plan in advance if you want to cook it. This super easy chicken breyani is our cheat version, tastes great, and can be made in 30 minutes! We originally saw this recipe on Nina Timm's website, but have since adapted it for AMC.
Super easy chicken breyani
Serves 4 – 6
100 g slivered almonds
10 ml (2 tsp) oil for frying
4 chicken breast fillets
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
15 ml (1 tbsp) curry powder
10 ml (2 tsp) turmeric
1 each cinnamon stick and bay leaf
3 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
5 ml (1 tsp) ground coriander
5 ml (1 tsp) cumin seeds
250 ml (1 cup) uncooked basmati rice
625 ml (2½ cups) chicken stock
1 x 410 g tin brown lentils, rinsed and drained
5 ml (1 tsp) garam masala
salt and pepper to taste
chopped fresh coriander to taste
tomato salsa and sliced boiled eggs to serve
extra fresh coriander leaves to serve
- Heat an AMC 30 cm Electric Frying Pan (electric probe on 6), or AMC 24 cm Gourmet Roaster or 30 cm Gourmet Fry Pan over a medium temperature, until the Visiotherm® reaches the first red area.
- Add the almonds without any oil and toast until golden brown. Stir through once or twice to prevent burning. Spoon out. (Take care as the almonds can burn easily.)
- Spread the oil over the base of the unit and brown chicken breasts on both sides. Once browned, cover with a lid and reduce the temperature (electric probe on Simmer).
- Simmer for 5 - 7 minutes until the chicken breasts are cooked through, but still juicy and tender. Remove from the unit and allow to cool slightly before cutting into small cubes.
- Increase the temperature (electric probe on 6) and sauté the onion in the same unit. Once softened, add the garlic and spices and sauté for a few more minutes until fragrant.
- Add the rice and stir through. Stir in the stock and cover with a lid. Reduce the temperature to the lowest setting (electric probe on Simmer) and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is just cooked.
- Stir the lentils and chicken into the rice and heat through. Add the garam masala and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the chopped fresh coriander on top. Serve with a tomato salsa, sliced boiled eggs and toasted almond slivers. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- A delicious combination for a tomato salsa is diced red pepper and onion, quartered cherry tomatoes and chopped fresh coriander. Season to taste and enjoy with the chicken breyani.
- For more heat, add one seeded and chopped chilli with the garlic and spices.
- Instead of tinned lentils, cook dried brown lentils in advance and add these in step 8.
- Although not traditional, a variation with small cubes of butternut or potato can be prepared. Add with the rice and simmer together. When adding the chicken back to the unit, add frozen peas and heat through. Great for lazy cooks that prefer not to cook a side of vegetables.